Thursday, September 22, 2011

Knowing your worth.

I have placed a book on hold at the library entitled "The 10 Habits of a Happy Mother" and I plan to pick it up tomorrow.  The other day I noticed that my old pastor and friend, who married my husband Nick and I five years ago, mention it on a facebook post.  She mentioned that the first habit was knowing your worth as a mother. These words struck a chord with me.  I have not been able to stop thinking about those words.  The past eleven years since I have graduated high school has been a slow and not so steady journey concerning my higher education. Often changing my mind, always seeking my calling.  This past June I finally received my AA degree in Sociology.  My plan is to go on and complete my bachelors in social work and my masters in educational counseling.  However since I gave birth to my daughter Elena six weeks ago, I have decided to take the year of from school to stay at home with her and my 2 ½ year old son, Franklin.  I know I am beyond blessed to be able to do this.  To spend my children's early years with them.  However, I must admit, without actively pursuing my education this year I have questioned my self worth.  I have placed too much importance on becoming an educated woman my children can look up to; that even taking a one-year brake has left me feeling a little lost.  So although I have not even read this book yet, if all I get from is it is to know my worth, it is more than enough.  So each day I will reflect on the importance of my job as a mother. I am overwhelmed with joy that they are my children.  At such a young age they are such extraordinary people who have taught me so much. I truly am blessed to get to spend each and every day with them and watch them grow into these amazing people, and I know their childhood will come and go in the blink of an eye. My worth lies in so much more than being a student, a wife, or even a mother.  It is all these things combined and so much more. God has given me a value that cannot be taken away  no matter what I do or do not do.  I think this is why it breaks my heart to see young girls so depressed over some jerk that won't love them back, or believe for one second that not looking the "right way" has anything to do with their worth.  As women, as people, let us rise above the lies that we are less than who we are.  Let us know and declare our worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment