Thursday, October 10, 2013

Malala

As parents, we want so much for our children.  Safety, health, education, love, and happiness.  We pray they grow up surrounded by people that can show them beauty in the world and compassion for all of its ugliness.  We feel a little failure when our daughters worship pop stars instead of Noble Peace Prize winners, and our sons’ value physical strength instead of compassion.  Perhaps we don't all feel that way, and perhaps that is the problem.  Growing up I read books like Ann Frank, and Little Women cover to cover repeatedly, Imagining myself someday becoming a writer, an artist, a teacher, or a healer.  Imagining myself choosing love and freedom, and self-respect.  I hope I am never the kind of parent that pressures my children into being something I want them to be.  I want to make sure to listen to their dreams, their desires, their ideas of love and freedom and self-respect.  But there are some things I won't budge on.  They have to be compassionate.  They have to value their mind, body, and spirit.  They have to be able to see outside of themselves and choose to care for others in the face of hatred.  They do not have to be doormats, but they do have to be welcome mats.  

I watched the following video of Malala Yousafzai's, a 16-year-old Pakistani advocate for women's rights, appearance on the Daily Show today. She is remarkable.  She is inspiring.  I cannot promise my kids will not ever fall into idolization surrounding pop culture.  I hope not, but I cannot promise it.  What I can promise, is that  people, and books, and stories, about women like Malala, will also surround them.  And at the end of the day, I am confident they will choose her as their inspiration. 




Video and article of Malala Yousafzai on the Daily Show


No comments:

Post a Comment