Thursday, October 6, 2011

Ode to the Postnatal Workout




I did my first real work out since the baby last night.  I remember why it is such a thing now.  The first work out after having a baby is like admitting your ready to ditch the maternity yoga pants (Ok may be not ditch them, but cut it down to like twice a week).  Now do not get me confused with one of those super workout women who lose all their baby weight in like 5 minutes.  I am not one of those ladies who run because it's "relaxing" or treat carbs like the plague.  I have to force myself to run, and bread and I are soul mates.  I do not work out to be a size "2" again (have not actually been one since I was like seven), neither do I feel the need to be.  The extra belly is kind of like a badge of honor, like "Yeah I carried a human being in my abdomen, what of it?!”  Although I would like to feel cute in my "little black dress" again, it is not my main motivation.  Truthfully, those 30 minutes of blaring the Black Eyed Peas on my iPod while gliding on the elliptical behind the 20 year old Angelina Jolie look alike who is also probably a rocket scientist (like for reals since its at the Stanford gym), turns out is a pretty alright way to get some "me time".  So, here's to me keeping up the workout and not ditching it for some "me time" at the ice cream shop instead...


2 comments:

  1. I'll be 7 months post-parting on Monday and I'm STILL refusing to give up my maternity yoga pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With Franklin I waited almost an entire year before I worked out for the first time. It must be something about taking care of a two month old and a two year old all day alone that makes me want to run the second Nick gets home from school :-/

    (Dang those pants are comfy aren't they?)

    ReplyDelete