Sunday, October 23, 2011

Simplicity.


There is a simple comfort in making something yourself from scratch.  Even when it is uncomplicated.  No, it does not have to be an apple pie, or a Thanksgiving turkey.  This comfort can be  as simple as coffee creamer.  I have a guilty pleasure that exists in coffee creamer.  Vanilla, hazelnut, caramel, each adding an intoxicating nudge of goodness to my morning lifeline of coffee.  I often find myself telling Franklin the phrase "a little goes a long ways.”  From paint to glue, or even kindness, even the smallest bit can make something good even better.  And there is something extra special about that little bit of goodness being so simple.  Uncomplicated.  Pure.  After reading the ingredients that went into my store bought coffee creamer (there were nearly a dozen!  A dozen!)  I decided to make my own.  I narrowed the ingredients down to four.  Four ingredients that I could pronounce, and could find growing in its natural form if I wanted to.  So tonight this delicious pure and simple goodness sits in my refrigerator waiting the morning, that will come much too soon.

Vanilla Coffee Creamer
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup honey
2 tbsp pure vanilla
1 quart half-and-half

In a medium pot mix brown sugar, honey and vanilla together over medium low heat only until sugar melts.  Do not over heat or cream will not mix well. 
Turn heat off and leave pot on burner while whisking in half-and-half.
Store in glass container in fridge and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment