Wednesday, November 2, 2011

30 Days of Thankfulness

I could go two directions concerning Thanksgiving. The first could be a rant about its inaccuracy and racist nature. However, that would just make people who thought that way already nod their heads in agreement, and those who disagree never read my blog again. The second could focus on the sentiment of thankfulness that seems to bloom during this time of year. I think I will choose the later. The later is what the me who is trying to be more positive would do. The later will ultimately let me grow. The later is what really changes the first. Therefore, I am beginning a 30 Days of Thankfulness Challenge for the month of November (yes I know I am already a day late). Each day I will post something I am thankful for and why I am thankful for it. Each day I will also try to use what I am thankful for by either taking time to appreciate it or by blessing others with it. For example, if I am thankful for delicious pumpkin cupcakes, I will make some for a neighbor. Get it? Got it? Good. I encourage you all to join and write about your experiences in the comment section to each post. I look forward to learning from your entries as well as growing from my own reflection of thankfulness.

Today I am thankful for my children (since I am behind one for yesterday and one for today). I know these seem a little obvious; nevertheless, these two small beings have turned my world upside down. They have changed my perspective on life.

Today I am thankful for my children. I am thankful for Franklin’s giant heart. He cares so much for others. This past week I have been pretty sick, and every morning the first thing he ask me is “How are you feeling mama? Are you feeling any better?” I am thankful for his thoughtfulness. His thoughtfulness is what makes me strive to be a more patient mother. One who is trying to take the giant pile of toys on the living room floor as a sign that my children are happy, and learning, and not waste time worrying about the messiness. Today I will sit and read with Franklin for as long as he wants. I will not say “Just one more” with no real reason for the cut off. I will just enjoy this precious time with my little boy, who before I know it will be a man.

Today I am thankful for my children. I am thankful for the women Elena is encouraging me to be. I look at her sweet smiling face, so perfect, filled with so much possibility, that I cannot help but want to be the kind of women she looks up to. I am still in the process of figuring out who that is, I probably always will be, but I am thankful that she makes me continue to strive for more. Today I will just lay down next to Elena on a blanket of toys and simply focus on her. I will resist the temptation to “get something done” because she is playing so happily by herself. Instead, I will chose to spend that happy moment with her.

Today I am thankful for my children.









No comments:

Post a Comment