Monday, November 14, 2011

Days 13 and 14 of Thankfulness: Pigeons and Growth


Day 13 (November 13, 2011)

Today I am thankful for our day trip to San Francisco.  We are so blessed to live right next door to San Francisco.  It really is a beautiful city.  We are also blessed to have a friend like Andy who is patient enough to spend the day in this beautiful, yet busy and hectic city with our family that includes a VERY curious 2 ½ year old.  When he suggested the 6 block walk to the Bart station from his house, I am sure he never imagined this would take over an hour.  We had the brilliant idea of letting Franklin walk (she says sarcastically).  He stopped at every pigeon, every item he found on the ground, at everything.  As crazy as this day in the city was, it was great seeing how happy it all made Frank.  He was running up and down the street with almost as much excitement as he had while trick-or-treating this Halloween. 

Today I am thankful for our day trip to San Francisco. 




Day 14 (November 14, 2011)

Today I am thankful for growth.  I love being at home with my babies.  I do.  However, can I admit that sometimes it is really hard?  Can I be that vulnerable for a moment?  Sometimes it can be so overwhelming I need to take a step outside and take a deep breath of fresh air before walking back in to deal with the baby who is crying, most likely because the toddler attempted a somersault over her head.  And in those moments, I am less than who I want to be.  I raise my voice, or give in to winey demands.  I am not perfect.  I do not need to be.  Nevertheless, I want to be better.  More patient.  I’ve prayed for it.  Yet, it doesn’t come easily.  Sometimes, like today, this frustrates me.  Isn’t praying to be better a good thing?  What is the harm in making this come easily?  Perhaps there is no harm in things coming easily.  But, perhaps there is benefit in stretching myself.  Even when it is the harder way to go.  Perhaps actively practicing patience during those hard moments is what makes me a better person, not just better in the moment.  Perhaps.  I hope so anyways. 

Today I am thankful for Growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment