Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Days 15 and 16 of Thankfulness: Oma and new life


Day 15

Today I am thankful for “Oma” (Nicks grandmother).  There have been a few times over the years when she just seems to know when I need a little encouragement.  Yesterday I was feeling a little burned out and overwhelmed with all the chaos that comes with being a mama.  Please understand I know how blessed I am to have my little ones, but sometimes it is just hard.  I was feeling defeated and frustrated with myself and my lack of patience lately.  As I was getting ready for bed last night, I received an encouraging e-mail from Oma reminding me that I am doing a great job, and that I do not have to be perfect.  Her e-mail reminded me that we tend to be our own biggest critics.  No one makes us feel like we are not living up to our expectations more than ourselves.  She reminded me to be kind to myself.  

These words of encouragement rang loudly in my decisions today.  I felt rejuvenated.  Ready to take on the biggest of toddler tantrums.  I remembered to take lots of deep breaths, choose my battles, and that my main job is to love these little ones as best as I can.  Sometimes this means letting the messy things go and choosing to embrace the little special moments of spontaneous dance parties and toddler potty humor.  

Today I am thankful for Oma. 



Day 16

Today I am thankful for new life.  This morning my neighbor gave birth at home to a baby boy.  The feeling of new beginnings and life filled the neighborhood as we chatted with excitement about the new baby.  I could not help but be reminded of the day my babies were born and the new love that was born in me as a mama.  

I am thankful for new life not only in the literal sense of a newborn baby but also in the new life that I am continuously being born into.  Each challenge I overcome, each time I am given grace.  

Today I am thankful for new life. 




1 comment:

  1. Love it! And love those little feet!--- Miss ya mama alice! -jill

    ReplyDelete