Friday, November 4, 2011

Day 4 of Thankfulness: The New Tree and Me

Today I am thankful for the walking/biking paths that run through campus.  When we first moved here from Oregon, it was hard to leave the breath taking scenic nature that fills almost every inch of that beautiful state.  It was difficult to find that beauty in a place where you can drive for hours and never leave city.  I was used to driving 20 minutes from where ever I was and ending up in the middle of nowhere.  Of course there were immediate benefits I embraced here, such as all the insanely delicious authentic cuisines found from all around the world on nearly every corner as well as the invigorating feeling of life that pours out of a big city like San Francisco which are blessed to be so near to.  However, overtime, I have learned to love what this place has to offer in a different way.  Throughout campus, walking and biking paths intertwine between buildings.  The paths are usually lined with trees.  Trees you can tell have not been around for long.  Trees that seem a little out of place because the space in between each is almost too symmetrical.  Today I took comfort in the newness of these trees.  Their newness in this world reminded me of how I often feel; A little awkward, naive, timid even.  But they are grounded.  Standing tall.  Ready to be what they were made to be.  Recyclers of life.The awkward space in between them left on purpose, giving them room to grow.

Today I am thankful for the walking/biking paths that run through campus.  Today I took my Frankie and Elenita on a long walk along these paths.  By the end, they both were asleep, and I felt at rest.  Appreciative to have these paths right outside my door.

Today I am thankful for the walking/biking paths that run through campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment